USABILITY TOOLS- How to Build a Website that People Like to Use.
Screen Reader User Survey #4 Results
- An introduction to website usability testing
- Site Usability 101
UsableWeb A usability portal rather than a news site. It hasn't been updated much in 2002 but there are still an awful lot of good links on here. It covers 'information architecture' also, a close relation (some would say a sub-set) of usability.
- WorldWideWeb Consortium
- Web Tools NIST tools WEB METRICTS test bed.
- Yale Web Style Guide A site from Yale University that offers detailed 'How To' guides to implementing easy to use web sites.
- Useit.com -Jakob Nielsen PhD is a web useability expert Top Ten Web Design Mistakes of 2005 (October 3) The oldies continue to be goodies -- or rather, baddies -- in the list of design stupidities that irked users the most in 2005.
Design for the users: users want Fast.
A very easy way to distinguish a well-designed site from a useless one is to measure the time to download the home page: it must be less than 10 seconds to satisfy basic human factors guidelines
Only if the site is easy to use will you stay there.
If USERS can't figure out how to use a site, then their solution is not to read the manual. Their answer is to go to another site.
- Get reliable statistics of the average time it takes users to download your pages.
EVALUATING WEB SITES