Must Know the Basics of Web Page Design
The Fundamentals of User Experience
While there are plenty of industry leaders, books, articles, and best practices to learn from, what matters is context. For whom are you designing? What are the users' goals, motivations, and pain points? What are users trying to accomplish? Good design solves real problems. It doesn't just decorate. How can you design to solve real problems for real people?
- Information Architecture Tutorial
Information architecture is the science of figuring out what you want your site to do and then constructing a blueprint before you dive in and put the thing together. Designing a Web site one page at a time tempts the creation of a 'spaghetti site': one that lacks good internal structure or organization.
- The basics of web page creation
If you are interested in using Netscape Composer, there are many tutorials out there, but in the interest of recreating the wheel, we've designed some tutorials for the teachers in our district, with the intent of being no more than a screen or two long, cross platform, and just a little at a time.
- Type Setting advice - The things you need to know
- Hire the the professional because there is MUCH MUCH more to building a site then what you see on the computer screen.
- "MANIFESTO" at www.cluetrain.com written by some people with interesting thoughts about the Internet.
- TEN GOOD DEEDS IN WEB DESIGN When you make the decision to move course materials to the Web, you may need some help in designing easy-to-use Web pages. Dr. Jakob Nielsen of the Nielsen Norman Group, points out the many mistakes Web page creators make that pose problems for readers. In a recent column, "Ten Good Deeds in Web Design," he presents positive strategies for increasing your site's usability.
- Writing for the Web a great list compiled by usuability guru Jakob Nielsen: The short summary and the writing style guide are especially good.