SELF PUBLISH - HOW TO MAKE YOUR OWN AUDIO BOOK:
86% Kindle Wins
2% Audible Audio Edition
1% Mass Market Paperback
2015 Self Published ebooks: the surprising data from Amazon!
Hugh Howey, author of the bestselling, indie-original science fiction series Wool. In 2014 he published an important data-rich report on independent author earnings from ebooks sold on Amazon. Howey makes a good case that the "average" author earns more from a self published book than she would through one of the Big Five publishers, and, what's more, that this holds true for all sorts of outliers (the richest indie authors outperform the richest Big Five authors; less-prolific indies do better than less-prolific traditionals, etc). The most important point is that all the authors Howey studied lived and died by the largesse of one company: Amazon.
"You may have heard from other reports that e-books account for roughly 25% of overall book sales. But this figure is based only on sales reported by major publishers. E-book distributors like Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Kobo, the iBookstore, and Google Play don’t reveal their sales data. That means that self-published e-books are not counted in that 25%.
Neither are small presses, e-only presses, or Amazon’s publishing imprints. This would be like the Cookie Council seeking a report on global cookie sales and polling a handful of Girl Scout troops for the answer—then announcing that 25% of worldwide cookie sales are Thin Mints. But this is wrong. They’re just looking at Girl Scout cookies, and even then only a handful of troops. Every pronouncement about e-book adoption is flawed for the same reason. It’s looking at only a small corner of a much bigger picture. (It’s worth noting that our own report is also limited in that it’s looking only at Amazon—chosen for being the largest book retailer in the world—but we acknowledge and state this limitation, and we plan on releasing broader reports in the future.)
There’s a second and equally important reason to doubt a 25% e-book penetration number: The other 75% of those titles includes textbooks, academic books, cookbooks, children’s books, and all the many categories that are relatively safe from digitization (for now). Print remains healthy in these categories, but these aren’t the books most people think of when they hear that percentage quoted. E-book market share is generally spoken of in the context of the New York Timesbestsellers, the novels and non-fiction works that are referred to as “trade” publications. If we look specifically at this trade market, it’s quite likely that e-books already account for more than 50% of current sales (some publishers have intimated as much [link]). Factoring in self-publishing and further limiting the scope to fiction, I’ve seen guesses as high as 70%. But that can’t be possible, right?"
Lulu.com for Musicians - On Demand Music Publishing - Publishing digital audio content is not limited to music. You can also publish and sell audio books and other multimedia using the same process. Publish files in any format. Set your own royalties on your work. Lulu adds a commission of 25% of the royalty you set (or 19¢, whichever is greater). The Lulu commission therefore equals 20% of the total profit of each item sold. Everything you can put up there.
How to Register a Work with the Library of Congress