RETA - Reading Excellence Through the Arts
A special interest group of the
International Reading Association
Dr. Sue Snyder, co-chair SueS@aol.com
A Special Interest Group of the International Reading Association
- Development of programs that support literacy in, about and through the arts.
- Sharing information on theory, research and practice demonstrating effective links between the literacy and the arts.
- Development of materials which support research based, developmentally appropriate arts/literacy practices
- Supporting and honoring teachers, schools, districts, and arts based organizations that promote literacy in, about and through the arts.
- Development of a network of educators commited to excellence through linking literacy and the arts.
"The arts humanize the curriculum while affirming the interconnectedness of all forms of knowing. They are a powerful means to improve general education." -- Charles Fowler
RESOURCES AND SERVICES
- A biannual newsletter. Contents include informatin about research, programs, products and issues related to our mission and membership.
- Representation of the arts at the international conference, and whenever possible, regional conferences.
- Representation in IRA publications through articles, news spots and advertisements.
- Collaboration on workshops, seminars, institutes and courses linking the arts and literacy.
- Awards and recognition to teachers, administrators, programs and organizations that provide examplary models of arts infused literacy programs.
- Materials to support RETA goals and objectives.
How can you get in touch?
Dr. Sue Snyder, co-chair SueS@aolcom
5 Lancaster Drive
W. Norwalk, CT 06850
Peg McCaughey, co-chair
P.O. Box 350057
Jacksonville, FL 32235-0057
Janice Lake Betts, Chair
217 Marshallville Rd.
Woodbine, NJ 08270